Monday, March 12, 2012

Taxidermy Doesn't Have to be a Trophy

Taxidermy swept through the interior design scene a few years ago and seems to still be a relevant fad in home decor. At first I had my reservations, being an animal lover and a vegetarian. But a few things changed my mind.

Many taxidermy shops don’t support the traditional trophy aspect of hunting and killing. Those with this view are carrying antique pieces from the late 19th and early 20th century. Much of the hunting done at that time was considered scientific, a form of nature preservation.

Many people who have begun to collect these pieces view the animals as a piece of art and a gift from nature. Since many of us may never see these animals up close in real life, it can be fascinating to have them in our homes.

Since I still have the thought in the back of my head that popularity creates demand, and if the fad is big enough there will have to be more killing to produce the supply, I have found many alternatives to the trend.

Hand-carved wood deer heads are some of my favorites. The detail on them is beautiful, and they provide a unique natural appeal in a similar fashion to the real thing.


A hand carved wooden stag head commands attention in my small apartment.

Felt animal heads are a bit more whimsical and playful. I love the softness of them and think they are perfect for a child’s room.

These felt heads by Roost are currently for sale in the shop!

A vintage Aoudad head from Africa

I have also seen beautiful and colorful papier mache heads of a bull, goat and deer that add an enchanting aspect to any interior.

This is one trend that may come and go for some, but the animal lover in me will always find it appealing.

This post appeared in last Sunday's Kansas City Star Magazine.
By Jaclyn Joslin

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/03/3457731/design-notebook-taxidermy-doesnt.html#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Post a Comment