Tuesday, January 31, 2012

On trend: Kilims

I've been noticing and admiring the use of kilim rugs in interiors lately. Middle Eastern in origin, these traditionally woven wool flatweaves have graphic patterns and tribal characteristics. They look great in just about any type of interior, but I'm particularly loving them in more clean, sleek, and modern spaces because they add just that right amount of global-boho chic to liven it up.

A Stockholm apartment looks gorgeous with the addition of a neutral kilim rug.

We currently have a handful of pillows made from vintage kilim rug pieces for sale in the shop:


They'd be a fun way to interject a bit of color, pattern, and texture into a space.


I find these antique kilim rugs from Apadana to be so pretty and surprisingly modern feeling. The aged patina makes them even more desirable to me.



I've also been spotting kilim motifs all over in fashion right now. How great are the Chuska loafers from Anthropologie? I think they'd look effortless with skinny black capris and a denim shirt come Spring.


And check out these beautifully beaded statement necklaces, available through the Seattle-based boutique Totokaelo. They definitely invoke a kilim-like pattern. I can see these being worn with a simple maxi dress or a flowy top.



xo, Amanda

First image, NY Times Style Magazine, Nov. 4, 2011. Following two are my own. Remainder are vendor images.

No comments:

Post a Comment