Friday, September 2, 2011

Time to Undecorate

I'm really loving our latest arrival, Undecorate, an inspirational design book by Chrisitiane Lemieux, founder of the fabulous DwellStudio bedding line we carry here at Urban Dwellings.

The spaces featured are creative and unconventional and highlight the art of collecting, living stylishly yet unpretentiously, and creating interesting and stimulating interiors that are as unique as each homeowner themselves.

It's hard to put a finger on what makes each of these homes so great. It isn't so much how refined or "designed" they are; in fact the opposite is true. Most are funky and unpolished, and maybe even a bit disheveled.


But as Deborah Needleman, former editor of my long, but not lost love, Domino magazine (I still have all my copies!) writes in the preface, "At Domino, when we were on the fence about whether to photograph a house for our pages, we would ask ourselves if it seemed like it would be a fun place to be invited over for a drink. Oftentimes an interior might be tasteful and well-executed, but it seemed to lack a crucial something."


She continues, "That ineffable something is vibrancy and energy--or you might call it love, or quirk, or personality."


Well, I couldn't agree more. I am constantly striving to bring that excitement and personal touch into my own home and the homes of the customers I work with here. It definitely takes time and patience, but when it all comes together, it is a great feeling.


Pick up a copy of Undecorate at the store or here.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment