Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Plume Crazy

I may have a slight obsession with peacocks. In person they don't even seem real, as if they are other worldly with their giant jewel-toned tail and elaborate feather pattern.


I had a National Geographic moment watching this guy strut around at a botanical garden in Europe this summer.


But lately, I've been seeing more and more taxidermy peacocks adorning lavish homes in decor magazines and I have to admit, I'd love to have one on my own mantel someday but doubt that would bode well with my frisky cat.


If you look closely at this image, you'll see the albino peacock on the right side of the room. Gorgeous!


Then recently, a post card came in the mail for the new exhibit at the Kemper Museum, highlighting an installation by artist Petah Coyne which features an apple tree and several taxidermy pheasants and peacocks. Call me creepy, but I can't wait to check it out.


But let's say that taxidermy just isn't your cup of tea, or that having a giant bird in your home isn't that practical after all. Lucky for you, since the image of the peacock has long been inspiring textile design, color palate inspiration and more, it is possible to get that whimsical feathered look sans deceased birdies. For example, I am currently rocking this Peacock duvet set by DwellStudio on my bed.


The correlating Vintage Plumes fabric by DwellStudio for Robert Allen make for great window treatments or a fun upholstering job.


I'm in love with this Song in Pumpernickel cotton flatweave rug by Madeline Weinrib because it reminds me of those gorgeous peacock plumes all fanned out.


And this Paradiso wallpaper by Nina Campbell for Osborne & Little would make for such a pretty powder bath or dressing room.

-Amanda

Photo credits: First two are my own. Number three, Lonny magazine, Sept/Oct 2011 issue. Number four, Elle Decor, September 2011 issue. Bedding, fabric, rug, and wallpaper all available through Urban Dwellings Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment